Friday, October 12, 2012

Blog # 2

Whenever I get a chance to observe the moon now, I still see those same images I saw when I was six, and it pleases me to know that that part of my childhood is still embedded in me” (p. 17) Ishmael Beah has, in many ways, been robbed of his childhood. From the age of 13, until he was 17, he was living in a war- filled country, and forced to do whatever he can to survive. The only way he was able to console himself was by focusing on the things that had nothing to do with his desperate situation. The moon would always stay the same, and that is why it is of great comfort to him. It also brings him memories of his grandmother who looked at the moon as an ideal, something to strive for. Ishmael also draws great comfort from his brother, Junior. the role of a big brother is extremely important, because you know they will always protect you. I also take great comfort in knowing my bolder brothers will always be there to stand up for me and protect me. All in all, the things that console Ishmael happen to be universal truths- finding images in the moon, advice from a loving grandmother, and being consoled by an older brother. These little things are what connect our lives to that of children like Ishmael. Although our reasons for needing comfort and consolation differ vastly in degree, we all find comfort in the little things.

6 comments:

  1. Lauren, I completly agree with you when you said that the things that console Ishmael are universal truths. I have never really thought of it that way, but you make a very good point. The things that console him are universal because children all over the world use those things to console themselves. Wether you live here in Birmingham or in Sierra Leon we all look at the same moon every night, but we look at it through different perspectives.
    -Ellie Hoag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you describe how the moon never changes. Ishamel's entire life has been changed in the course of a few hours, and the moon is something that is always constant, it keeps him connected to his old roots and childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's very little, if any, doubt that the civil war has crippled Ishmael and his entire quality of life; therefore reoccurring or familiar symbols are integral in allowing Ismael not to lose absolute hope in humanity. While some may tell Ismael to "man up" or to "not lose sight of the situation at hand", I commend Ishael in his taking a step back, and observing the familiar place in his life that was the moon. His having spectated the natural world was not a theme of innappropriate relaxation more than it was a necessary method to breathe life into the desolate boy. As you made swift note of, finding comfort in the "little things" is invaluable to a society in turmoil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wrote something very similar; I also said how the moon can connect him back to his childhood and it's always there. It's important that he has something from his childhood, no matter how small, to hold on to. That is how he can hold on to his innocence.

    -Michael Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the examples you put in your essay, and how you plugged them right into the quote, creating a smooth essay. You did a great job connecting your life with your brother along with his life and his brother. I really enjoyed reading your reply.

    -Jack Moore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, I definitely agree. It was as if the moon was the only thing in his life that was always there and it would always be there and never change. Also, Junior was someone that kept him going and encouraged and protected him. Ishmael seemed happier when he was with his brother. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete