I believe in the saying "that which does not kill us makes us stronger". However, I think for this to apply to somebody's situation they have to have the motivation and driving force to move on and become stronger. In Saidu's case, he was not referring to his inability to move on when he talked about the inevitability of his death. He was saying that he no longer had the desire to move forward, and he chose to give up. Human beings are amazing, and if we set our mind to it, we can weather any storm, but we must be fully committed to survival. There is no shame in choosing to give up, as Saidu did- but it is a sad thing when someone has lost so much faith in humanity that they would choose death over continuing their life with us. In response to the prompt- "Are there some things that just kill us slowly instead of building our strength?" I would say that it doesn't depend on the situation or "thing". The answer to this question depends on the attitude of the person. If the individual faces hardships with the strong desire to move on and without even a remote possibility of giving up, then there is no limit to what they can overcome. However, if someone is in Saidu's situation, where they have no desire to live and nothing to live for, every little thing will break them down until they have nothing left to hold on to.
Lauren, I love how you bring up that is less about the situation and more about the mindset of the person. I couldn't agree more. I believe once someone gives up or reaches a feeling of complete hopelessness, as Saidu seemed to, then what doesn't kill you no longer makes you stronger, but slowly kills you instead.
ReplyDeleteLauren, I completely agree. Saidu didn't want to go on. He had nothing good to live for anymore. The question "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is a great saying, but sometimes people don't want to move on. I agree that it depends on someones mindset.
ReplyDeleteLauren-
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" can sometimes be false. I also liked you point that sometimes it doesn't depend on the situation, but on the person. I think that sometimes an situation is so horrific that it can actually damage you more, and you can't get over it.
-Georgia